Move Over Cali

Ed Chan
Mark Burik and Shane Donohue contest a pass. Conversation after the play: Mark Burik: "I'm the digger, you're the hitter."

At the Waupaca Boatride volleyball tournament in Oshkosh, Wis., you’ll find men and women, young and old, playing volleyball in the sand and on the grass in a variety of numeric combinations, but the truly iconic and unique form of competition in this Midwestern tournament is grass triples.

Waupaca advertises itself as the “World’s Largest Outdoor Volleyball Tournament”(, but it began as a small doubles tournament at Whispering Pine State Park in Waupaca, Wis. As more and more people heard about the tournament and wanted to play, the organizers decided to switch to a triples format so they could accommodate more players. Eventually, even with three on a team, there were too many participants for the location and the tournament organizers tried out a few new venues before settling in at Brighton Acres this year.

The 2013 Waupaca triples champs on the women’s side included Shelia Shaw, a University of Wisconsin graduate who played on the Cuervo tour last year; Jen Bowman, a former Long Beach State and Minnesota setter; and Megan Carlson, a three-time Division II national champion from Concordia University St. Paul. On the men’s side, the winning team was made up of Joseph Smalzer, the Loyola Chicago right side who led his team to the national semifinals back in May, along with Skylar Del Sol and Bill Kolinske who took fifth at the NVL Midwest Championships in July.

Local participants and those who fly in from all corners of the country to gather in Wisconsin in early July swear by this tournament, enjoying the close community atmosphere that includes camping out in the fields the entire weekend. This year, even Misty May Treanor couldn’t stay away, bringing her Dream in Gold clinic to Waupaca.

Jul 26, 2013 at 05:17AM Breit Nelson

Kerri Schuh was a former UW-Milwaukee Panther and All-American (and an amazing sports photographer).
Image 13, Evan Berg is blocking. Image 14, one handed blocker is Travis Punke and opposing team member is Evan Berg.

Aug 19, 2015 at 11:12AM justin_0

I am truly appreciating perusing you're elegantly composed Information.gaming server

Aug 19, 2015 at 09:55PM mano

I am continually hunting online down articles that can help me. You done certain great focuses there.hacker dragon city

Aug 22, 2015 at 07:49AM crystal63

Much obliged for the pleasant work I have experienced the article and it is truly awing and dazzling instagram followers instagram likes

Aug 22, 2015 at 07:49AM crystal63

I wish we both can improve in the future.It significant privilege in the event that you can visit our site and give us some recommendation. free instagram followers instagram likes

Aug 23, 2015 at 08:35PM james thomas

This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.
clash of clans hack cydia | top eleven token hilesi

Aug 24, 2015 at 07:55PM wolf

That is an astounding point of view for distinctive ideas. I will keep this for new redesign about the affirm track. project freetv

Aug 29, 2015 at 08:26AM mano

I have to thank you for ones time for this especially phenomenal read!! bedrijfswebsite

Sep 05, 2015 at 09:02PM justin_0

Extol your work and continue sharing your data. It would seem that you spend a considerable measure of exertion and time on your online journal.piattaforma trading

Sep 07, 2015 at 12:35PM justin_0

I was suspecting that you will concoct a magnificent article today and you have not frustrated me by any means. xbox gold codes free

Sep 09, 2015 at 08:36AM mano

Recently suspected that I would post and let you know. I truly value that you composed this article and shared some okay data on this particular subject. clash of kings review

Sep 12, 2015 at 10:28AM justin_0

With thanks ; from everybody of us. A fascinating dialog is value remark. get msp hack at team9

Sep 14, 2015 at 11:58AM wolf

I am going to bookmark your site and keep up checking for fresh out of the box new informationsky customer service number

Sep 14, 2015 at 03:18PM mano

Most generally it truly is fortifying to figure out how to peruse content material from different scholars and activity a particular thing there. ways to lighten skin