Read Up

These nutrition blogs offer athletes a wealth of information

Kelli Jennings, RD, is the writer behind the Fuel Right Blog for endurance athletes.

There’s an abundance of nutrition information out there on the World Wide Web, and it can be difficult to figure out who to trust with something as important as what you put into your body. Diet is a huge part of wellbeing, especially for athletes, so we’ve chosen these bloggers to help you stay fit and healthy through both the indoor and beach seasons.

Corinne Dobbas, MS, RD:
Eat. Love. Live. Thrive. Advice for Modern Life

Corrine Dobbas is a registered dietician with a masters in nutrition from Tufts University. Her blog covers a wide range of health and nutrition topics, with plenty of expert advice and tips. My favorite post is her interview with the mastermind behind Bare Mixers, a low-calorie, all-natural margarita mix. She also frequently includes videos if watching gets the message to you better than reading.

corinnedobbas.com

Fuel Right Blog

Developed for endurance athletes and maintained by Kelli Jennings, RD, of APEX Nutrition, the Fuel Right Blog has a good variety of articles and tips for staying on top of your game by eating right. Although volleyball players and endurance athletes differ in some of their specific nutritional needs, Fuel Right’s large collection of recipes, cleanses, and creative ways to incorporate healthier options into your lifestyle is applicable to all athletes.

apexnutritionllc.com

Athletic Foodie

Olympic gold medal swimmer Garrett Weber-Gale created this blog in 2008 with the goal of helping athletes maintain a healthy diet. Weber-Gale and a large team of contributing doctors, registered dietitians, and physical therapists focus on eating whole, unprocessed or minimally processed foods to achieve greater general health. After winning two gold medals in Beijing, Weber-Gale interned at various high-end restaurants, so the recipes he posts are gourmet. The articles help readers toe the fine line between enjoying eating and cooking and doing it with health in mind. Oh, and did we mention he’s still swimming competitively? Just this past December he competed in the U.S. Nationals in Austin and the World Championships in Istanbul.

athleticfoodie.com

Yum Yucky

The magic of Yum Yucky is in its humor. Josie, the creator, embarked on her fitness and healthy-eating journey after having three children, and as she says, she isn’t a registered dietician or personal trainer but has gained her knowledge from years of trial and error. She decorates the blog with silly photos and videos of herself and her adorable family and mixes in quips and jokes at just the right moments. But the best thing about this blog is how honest it is. Josie’s philosophy is that she feeds her “greedy” side 10 percent of the time, allowing herself to indulge, but the other 90 percent of the time, she fills up with nutritious foods and gets her daily exercise. There is no intimidation factor here; Josie isn’t perfect, as she readily admits, and the message is clear that you don’t have to be perfect to be healthy.

yumyucky.com

Oh She Glows

Created by Angela Liddon, Oh She Glows is more than just a vegan nutrition and cooking blog. The site features recipes, fitness tips, photography, and more. The recipes page is even searchable, so all of Angela’s amazing vegan recipes are easy to navigate, an important feature since she’s been adding content since 2009. Angela’s personality shines through in every section of the site, and her successful defeat of disordered eating and over-exercising inspires and gives her advice credibility.

ohsheglows.com


Nutrition Unplugged

Registered dietitian Janet Helm, a frequent contributor to the Chicago Tribune, ABCNews.com, MSNBC.com, and Cooking Light, approaches her nutrition blog with a cynical outlook, constantly debunking myths and marketing schemes for the good of her readers. She refreshingly tries to stay away from food fads, and if she does discuss them, she’s upfront about it, creating posts titled “Food and Beverage Buzz Words” or “Food and Dining Trends,” so you know exactly what you’re getting into.

nutritionunplugged.com

Trainer Tiff

Tiff Moore became a personal trainer over 10 years ago and has been providing clients and readers with nutrition and fitness advice ever since. She frequently posts fitness or healthy-eating challenges that make staying in shape way more fun and help to keep variety in your routine. And besides, any nutrition blog with a sweet potato pancake recipe gets my vote!

trainertiff.com

Originally published in February 2013

Add a Comment

You need to log in to comment on this article. No account? No problem!

Advertisements